The Haute Route, (also known as The High Route or Mountaineers' Route) is the route undertaken on foot or by ski touring between Chamonix, France, and Zermatt, Switzerland.
Typically the walking route follows the following route:
- Le Tour village, France
- Albert Premier Hut
- Cabane du Trient or Orny Hut
- Champex town, Switzerland
- Valsorey Hut or Chanrion Hut
- Vignettes Hut
- Arolla village, Switzerland
- Bertol Hut
- Schonbiel Hut
- Zermatt town, Switzerland
Walking the route can take up to 12 days whereas in the winter the route is often taken by ski-tourers who can complete the Haute Route in less than 7 days.
- Distance: 180km
More Chamonix Insights...
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 6th December 2020
- When is Chamonix opening for the ski season 2020/21?
- Safety measures in Chamonix winter 2020/21
- Travellers welcome to Chamonix from June 15th 2020
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Chamonix sights reopen in May 2020