Bighorn Bistro opened its doors in the faired town of Chamonix Mont-Blanc in 2015 with hopes of becoming a staple in the local and tourist communities with their fresh homemade food, artisanal beers and a friendly service. They did just that!
This spacious yet cosy restaurant is run by an American family who grew up skiing, climbing and running the steep slopes of the Chamonix valley. The fresh baked breads and desserts are made daily by Susan and her son Morgan, whilst the brunch, lunch and dinner menus are prepared by Susan’s daughter Hannah, and the bar is run by Hannah’s husband, the affable Rhys Jones hailing from Brisbane, Australia. The family originates from the North and wild west of America. The interior décor comes from Cody and Jackson Hole, Wyoming, giving the authentic feel of a rustic western ski lodge with the sophistication of a downtown gastro-pub found in the menu.
Bighorn caters to large groups, families and discerning beer and burger lovers, as well as those looking for vegetarian, vegan and healthy options amongst the cheese and meat of the French Alps! They're also happy to cater for dietary requirements, so don't hesitate to ask what they can do to suit your needs. Sunday Brunch is a must for anyone visiting town, bringing together the most traditional brunch items including eggs benedict, huevos rancheros, freshly baked cinnamon rolls and buttermilk pancakes, all freshly home-made on the day. They also offer a loaded Bloody Mary that will cure any hangover and a fresh squeezed mimosa to share with your friends after an early ski or late lie in!
Bighorn’s beer bar has quickly risen to the top of everyone’s list, local and visiting. Rhys has developed a draft beer list that offers every style, flavour, strength and country brew. With an ever-rotating list, there is always something new to try!
Bighorn is located in Chamonix Sud, with an unbeatable panoramic view of the Mont Blanc Massif mountain range, uninterrupted afternoon sunshine and a bustling pedestrian square with neighbouring bars and restaurants within walking distance.
The café, bar and restaurant are currently open Tuesday to Saturday from 15:00 to 22:30. On Sundays, they offer brunch to take away from 10:30 to 14:30 with American specialties including buttermilk pancakes and freshly baked cinnamon rolls.
Bighorn has hosted a whole range of events from magazine launches to children’s parties, film screenings, evening cocktail parties and much more. What's next?... You decide. They would love to help you plan your perfect event in their fantastic space.
Who should go
Anyone! They have made it their mission to create a venue that suits all ages and tastes, whether for lazy morning coffees or brunch, long lunches, delicious dinners, homemade cakes, après-ski beers or even cocktails and dancing, Bighorn has it all. I guess you need to go along and try it to find out what suits you!
Located in the heart of Chamonix Sud in the very good company of Beckett & Wilde, South Bar and Monkey Bar, they contribute to the regeneration of Chamonix Sud and have helped transform the microcosm into a diverse, international and exciting place to go.
In the bar, you will find a unique selection of craft beers on tap and by the bottle, including a selection from the Brooklyn Brewery and Farmhouse Ale from the Boulevard Brewing Company. They also offer an extensive cocktail menu served by trained mixologists.
- "Found this bistro on last day of 5 day trip. What a pity. The reccomended bloody Mary was amazing to begin with. The pasta pesto with chicken was sensational. My girlfriend had the Seattle salmon sandwich with egg and chips, she loved it. Could not wait to taste coffee before writing this. Waiter was so cool and relaxed. Read this then type it into Google maps and get there." - Trip Advisor
- "A great find for a quick bite. Extremely friendly and helpfull staff, great wifi and above all really delicious (fast) food. The pulled pork and homemade nachos are highly recommended. The fries are homemade and truly delicious. They serve different sorts of beer too. Given the location you get real value for money!" - Trip Advisor
- "We found this bistro via a recommendation from our transportation company and what a great place. It is the only restaurant in Chamonix to serve really good beer. We found 5 craft beers on tap when we visited. But don't come for just that, the food is great. The Bighorn is American owned and has some American favorites but other good choices too. For vegetarians there are good choices, I really liked the sweet potato/quinoa burger. The owner does all the baking including the burger rolls." - Trip Advisor
- "We were excited to try an American restaurant in Chamonix, not only to try a new place but to see if we could have a little taste of home. The restaurant is perfectly decorated, the "staff" (owners) bring the great customer service Americans are known for, and the food is fantastic as well (everything that can be home made, is homemade)" - Trip Advisor
- "We popped in for a coffee. This is a lovely place and the staff were really friendly. The cookies looked amazing and we are really keen to come back for breakfast soon." - Trip Advisor
- Children welcome
- Parking on street
- Pedestrian access
- Pets welcome
- 77 Place Edmond Desailloud