The Panoramic Mont-Blanc gondola, which runs from the top of the Aiguille du Midi to Pointe Hellbronner on the Italian side of the Mont-Blanc massif, was severely damaged this winter. The lift will be closed this summer while repair works take place.
Hurricane winds and extremely low temperatures caused by storm Eleanor at high altitude last January damaged the bearer cable at Panoramic Mont-Blanc. Technical teams from the Compagnie du Mont Blanc are currently working at the Aiguille du Midi to plan the operations needed to repair it. Works will be long and costly so there is no planned reopening date.
Bear in mind that the second section of the Aiguille du Midi cable car will be closed until 2nd June. In the meantime, the Planpraz lift at Brévent will be open and there are lots of other things to do in the valley.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 6th December 2020
- Safety measures in Chamonix winter 2020/21
- Top 12 things for non-skiers to do in Chamonix
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeChamonix.com
- Chamonix in October 2019 - What to see & do
- What's on in Chamonix July 2019