The Les Houches ski touring route allows beginners to get a taste for the sport without having to head off into the unknown.
The marked trail starts at Les Chavants, near to the bus stop at the Prarion lift station. The route is marked along the way and climbs from 1012m at the base to 1860m at the top of the Prarion gondola – giving you a good old 848m uphill leg workout. You can also find the trail on the piste map for Les Houches.
The Les Houches trail is a great introduction to the sport, as the route is clearly marked and has been chosen for its safety and accessibility. You don't need to be an experienced off-piste skier as the end of the trail brings you out into the centre of the pisted ski area. Touring kit of skis, boots, bindings and skins can be hired fairly inexpensively (30-40€ per day) from most Chamonix sports shops.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Travellers welcome to Chamonix from June 15th 2020
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Chamonix sights reopen in May 2020
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Chamonix
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Mixed conditions in Chamonix as spring approaches