The aging Flegere cable car is to be replaced by a 10-seat gondola system for the 2019/20 ski season. The first plans for the project have now been made public.
The replacement lift will be in the style of the Plan Joran lift at Grand Montets, 41 10-seat cabins will whisk people up the mountain in just over 6 minutes. The lift will be able to get 2000 people hour up to the Flegere mid-station. While some may lament the fact that precious powder stashes will get tracked sooner, eliminating half-term and sprig time queues can only be a good thing.
Both top and bottom station will see a complete revamp and the car park will be tidied up a bit.What this means for summer climbing bums and their vans remains to be seen. Construction of pylon foundation will begin in the Autumn of 2018, with full construction starting in May 2019. If all goes according to plan the lift will be operational in December 2019.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Chamonix sights reopen in May 2020
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Chamonix
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Mixed conditions in Chamonix as spring approaches
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 6th March 2020