Trip Advisor has revealed its users' preferred destinations in the world and Europe's outdoor sports capital, Chamonix, has been chosen as the 10th best in France.
The birthplace of alpinism, Chamonix attracts thousands of visitors in the winter and the summer. This is thanks to its magnificent location right at the foot of Western Europe's highest peak, Mont Blanc. The giant mountains that surround the town receive skiers and snowboarders in the winter, attracted by some of the most challenging slopes in the world, while trail runners, hikers, mountain bikers, cyclists, climbers and mountaineers flock to the valley in the summer.
However, it's not only the mountains that have enthralled Trip Advisor users but also the picturesque Alpine hamlets dotted around the area. Chamonix main town, a beautiful village made up of colourful old hotels built in the 19th century and contemporary wooden chalets with extraordinary views of the summits, is also worth a visit.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Travellers welcome to Chamonix from June 15th 2020
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Chamonix sights reopen in May 2020
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Chamonix
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Mixed conditions in Chamonix as spring approaches