Plans are underway to completely overhaul the Le Tour lift station within the next few years, possibly with a view to changing the location and redesigning the whole area.
The green gondolas of the Charamillon telecabine have been in service for over thirty years and are long overdue an update. The six seater gondola was designed to carry 1500 people per hour, but in reality the creaky old mechanisms are not reaching anywhere near that number. Plans are being made to replace not just the cabins but the entire lift station by winter 2018/19.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Travellers welcome to Chamonix from June 15th 2020
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Chamonix sights reopen in May 2020
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Chamonix
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Mixed conditions in Chamonix as spring approaches