The Compagnie du Mont Blanc announced yesterday that the Planpraz gondola, which links Chamonix centre and the Brévent ski area, will be closed until Sunday, January 27th 2019 at the latest due to technical problems.
During a routine inspection, a problem with one of the bull wheels was discovered. This piece was replaced last autumn but, on Sunday morning, a team from the gondola's construction company detected that some of the ball bearings inside the bull wheel were broken, meaning that they need to be replaced.
Works will take place this week, and the gondola will reopen on Sunday, January 27th at the latest – although it might be possible for them to reopen on Saturday, January 26th. However, skiers can still access the Brévent ski area via the cable car from Flégère.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Chamonix sights reopen in May 2020
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Chamonix
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Mixed conditions in Chamonix as spring approaches
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 6th March 2020