After a couple of days of unseasonably warm temperatures, the snow started falling in the Chamonix Valley on Tuesday at around noon.
What began as light snow, drifting because of the wind, became heavier as the evening came and it continued dumping it down throughout the night. There are now around 15cm of fresh snow at the bottom of the valley and 28cm at Grands Montets mid-station, in Lognan. On the Aiguille du Midi, at 3840m, the layer of fresh snow has reached almost 40cm.
The forecast is suggesting that it will be sunny in the foreseeable future, with low temperatures and perhaps some more snow coming on Sunday so these are set to be some of the best skiing days of the season so far.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Travellers welcome to Chamonix from June 15th 2020
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Chamonix sights reopen in May 2020
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Chamonix
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Mixed conditions in Chamonix as spring approaches