After a few days of sunshine and clouds, the skies finally opened in Chamonix yesterday. What started as rain in the valley at around midday, quickly turned into snow at all altitudes.
While the town has received around 15cm of fresh snow, reports are suggesting that there may be up to 35cm of fresh snow at altitude, although this is hard to measure due to the high winds. Current avalanche risk has risen to 4/5.
Yesterday and today were whiteout days and most of the lifts in the valley remained closed. If you're heading out today, bear in mind that Chamonix Le Pass ski passes can be used in Les Houches without having to validate them at the desk.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020
- Chamonix sights reopen in May 2020
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Chamonix
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Mixed conditions in Chamonix as spring approaches
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 6th March 2020